The Funnelback query reports system allows you to view different reports generated from query and click logs.
Updating query reports
Reports need to be updated at least once before viewing, and updated for new data regularly. Normally this should be done out of hours. The scheduling page provides the ability to schedule these updates.
In addition, the "Update Analytics" link in the Control Panel takes you to the following page which allows you to select some or all collections and have their reports manually updated.
Please be aware that updating reports may take some time for collections which have a high query volume.
Query reporting interface
Query reports are displayed within the Marketing Dashboard. Where required, documentation is available inline by clicking the help icon ().
Some search services receive significant numbers of automated or spam queries which you may not wish to see in your query reports. Such queries can be eliminated from consideration through the collection's reporting-blacklist.cfg file.
Large Date Ranges
In some circumstances the reporting system may align entered dates to “month boundaries” in order to improve reporting performance. This will occur when the number of days in the specified date range is above a certain configured limit (see the max day resolution daterange setting). The earliest date in the set daterange will be moved back until it is at the start of a month, and the latest date will be moved forward until it is at the end of the month.
For example, given the default maximum 30 days in a daterange:
- Given an entered custom daterange of 29/Jan/2009-15/Feb/2009, the entered daterange will not be changed — it is smaller than the maximum.
- Given an entered custom daterange of 7/Mar/2009-31/Oct/2009, the entered daterange will be changed to 1/Mar/2009-31/Oct/2009 — the daterange is larger than the maximum allowed and the earliest date is not on a month boundary.
- Given an entered custom daterange of 25/Mar/2009-2/Oct/2009, the entered daterange will be changed to 1/Mar/2009-31/Oct/2009 — the daterange is larger than the maximum allowed (note that the entered dates are moved to the start and end of a month respectively, not to the nearest start or end of a month).
- Given an entered custom daterange of 1/Jan/2006-31/Dec/2009, the entered daterange will not be changed — it is already aligned to “month boundaries”.
Totals in the "clicks for query" and "queries for click" reports
Sometimes a "clicks for query" and "queries for click" report may show a total count of clicks/queries which is less than that shown on other reports. For example, when viewing the top queries report, the query "bananas" may have a total of 100 clicks for the time period specified. Clicking through to the "top clicks for query: bananas" report may show 3 top clicks:
- http://fruits.example.com/all_about_bananas with a total of 60 clicks
- http://fruits.example.com/bananas_nutrition_info with a total of 20 clicks
- http://fruits.example.com/potassium with a total of 10 clicks.
Summed together, the 3 clicks shown have a total of 90 clicks - 10 less than the number of clicks reported for the "banana" query.
This is due to the max facts per dimension combination setting. In order to improve scalability and performance, the query reporting system ignores data items (facts) that are outside a certain frequency threshold — for example, only the most popular 500 queries per day are stored by default. This also means that, by default, only the most popular 500 clicks for any query or queries for any click are stored. The "bananas" query above may have also received clicks on other results, but these clicks were not popular enough to pass the max facts per dimension combination threshold.
Query Reports Hardware Requirements
The table below gives minimum hardware requirements for processing various query log volumes.
|Number of queries||Minimum memory||Minimum hard disk space|
|>= 20 million over 3 years||2.5GB||10GB|
|<= 1 million||500MB||4GB|
When updating query reports for a collection with a large number of queries the analytics.max_heap_size collection setting should be increased.
Reporting Configuration Options